Can a person just be left alone while gassing up a car? The answer is no.
I hate being asked by the pump (before it will give me any gas) whether I want a car wash or not. If I wanted a car wash, I'd drive my nasty car over to your cheap car wash and give the machine over there my money. Can't I just buy gas at the gas pump? I mean, come on already. I already buy a 20 oz pop from your store for $1.49 when I can get a 2 liter for 88 cents at any grocery store, so don't try and rip me off with your 'Big Rig' wash.
In Ft. Worth there is a gas station where there is a talking box that asks you questions, and it has three buttons for answers. At least it has the common courtesy to let me start pumping the gas before it talks to me. Of course, it nags at you if you ignore it, but at least I'm getting my gas.